Saturday, May 31, 2008

Prenatal Yoga

I have been taking classes at "Yoga Yoga" here in Austin since we moved down from Chicago. Tony and I decided to try Yoga because our sister-in-law (Karen) is a Yoga instructor (among other things). Tony needed relief from his chronic back pain and I needed to learn to unclench my teeth and relax like a normal human being.

Since the pregnancy began I have been taking Prenatal Yoga from Alice, who is in my opinion the very best Yoga instructor for a person with any fears or doubts about pregnancy.

I love this class. Most of my prego-related aches and pains have been alleviated by practicing with Alice. As an added benefit Alice is a Doula and her mother is a Midwife so she has lots of experience with pregnant ladies and birth. I have found her advice and reassurances to be invaluable the closer I get to my due date. I have found Alice's methods to be very respectful of all her student's choices with regard to prenatal care and delivery. She doesn't push an agenda, she just offers support.

The other incredible positive aspect of this class is the other pregnant ladies. Today I was running late and one of my fellow students offered me her free pass to the class! Wonderfully sweet thing to do. When I got into the class they were short on supplies (balancing blocks specifically) and a lady who was 33 weeks pregnant with TWINS offered me one of her blocks. These things are used for balance ya'll and she could certainly have used both blocks carrying two babies into the third trimester. In each class we say our names and how we are feeling. I mentioned being 37 weeks and having suspicions that this is a big baby. One of the ladies said that her ultrasound showed 7 pounds and the kid ended up being 10 pounds! But the point of her story was not to freak me out but to let me know that everything was fine, even with the big kid.
She also gave me a positive recommendation for my pediatrician. As it turns out we are using the same doctor.

I wish I had attended even more classes during my pregnancy (I was trying to save money) and made more of an effort to get to know all these great ladies.

I hope to see them again in the Postpartum class.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin