Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trust issues

When Alice was first born I marveled that I could stroke her eyelid without her flinching. She had never experienced something unpleasant touching her naked eye and it seemed a symbol of her unblemished trust in me and the world at large. I wondered at the time how long this particular innocence could last.

Of course seven weeks of life have taught Alice the useful skill of shying away from potentially pokey face grooming. Particularly the nasal aspirator, she can smack that thing out of Mommy's hands. Right now the kid has baby acne and cradle cap on her ears (but not her head oddly enough) so bathtime requires extra frustrating steps.
My Alice has traded some of her unknowing trust for some worldly patience.

1 comment:

dwija said...

Ah, the booger sucker. The evil, no-good, terrible, horrible, very bad booger sucker. Now that Paul is almost 1, not only is he wise to tool (and by "wise to" I mean "loathes"), he is also squirmy, strong, and entirely mobile. True story: I have to pin him to the floor using my feet on his shoulders so that I can use one hand to hold his head still and the other to suck the boogers. Boogers time is a terrible time in Chez Borobia, I tell ya what....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin