Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gecko Adventure

In Alice's first week Tony and I discovered that Alice takes to diaper changes much better when the wipes are swished around in warm water for a bit. During one bewildering 3am change Tony took point and brought Alice to her changing table, while I stumbled into our bathroom to get the water ready. Nobody turns on the bathroom light during a 3am change. So I was completely surprised when I stepped up to the sink and felt something tiny wiggle under my foot. I (of course) screamed bloody murder and dove for the light. What should I see but a tiny and entirely unhurt orange baby Gecko!

What followed was a very confused parent conversation:

Tony: Are you ok?!
Me: I stepped on a Gecko!!
Tony: A what?
Me: Gecko
Tony: What?
Me: TINY ORANGE GECKO!
Tony: ...wha?
Alice: WAAAA! (stop talking and wipe my butt)

Tonight while Tony and Alice slept and I put the last dishes away I looked down into the sink and what should I see but my friend the Gecko.

Here is a shot of the drain for size comparison. This fella is truly tiny.

Makes me worry about ever running the disposal again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

remember Dana Z. from UD? Her parents' house out in the backwoods of Tejas was swarming with little baby scorpions. Her father collected them when he found them -- had a glass jars full of them in alcohol or something like that - totally freaky, and not good to go walking around barefoot there. I think Geckos are much safer.

Unknown said...

Did the gecko talk to you about saving on car insurance? Did you offer him any clams? Did he have a charming British accent?

holt said...

Funny you should ask. The more nights I go without sleep the more Gecko's seem to be talking to me! I wonder if there is a correlation...

holt said...

In my early days I lived in the desert (Arizona, New Mexico, etc.) so our bathrooms were always full of creepy crawlies. To this day I always check the toilet for something that could sting me to death.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin