Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mom is headed out of town

Well, my Mom just rolled out of the driveway after a whirlwind week of renovation and decoration. Mom was sweet enough to bring us several needed items all the way from Albuquerque. We gained an 8 foot bookshelf, a lawn mower, a weed whacker, and an edger. Now Tony can attack our forest-like lawn with suburban gusto.

Mom didn't stop at furniture. She MADE our living room curtains! Ya'll, she even bought a sewing machine to accomplish the task. They look great, though Mom was annoyed by an apparently uneven stitch (I can't see it) that she wants to drive back to Texas and fix before the baby arrives!

She also did mundane chores that are tricky for my 8 months pregnant self. Like vacuuming the stairs. We have the original yellow Dyson. A big drawback of this machine is the incredible force of the hose. A person with could easily be yanked down the stairs while the vacuum tries desperately to suck it's hose back to the base. Falling down the stairs would be bad at this juncture. Wouldn't be great for my Mom either, but she assured me that she could stay upright.

I can't say enough about how wonderful it was to have my Mommy here. In fact I got a little greedy. When Mom said,
"Maybe I should stay another day..." I didn't try terribly hard to dissuade her even though she has a lot going on at home.

Today however we had gotten to the silly point. She has a meeting in 48 hours in another state. So it was time to say goodbye until next time. I haven't lived with my Mom since I was 17 (I went to college a little early) and I see her pretty often. I am not usually such a sad-sack about living in a different state from my Mom. But at this very moment I miss her like crazy.

It's gonna be funny when the kid is old enough to have attachment issues and is wailing, "But WHY can't we stay at Grandma's house for another day?!" and I will have to think of a good reason while Tony rolls his eyes and starts the car.

For the record, Tony didn't want her to go either since his house repairs started moving at a very rapid clip once my Mom showed up!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You should like you're doing great. You're getting so close!!!

Bethany said...

Belly photo! Cathleen says you're adorable.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin