Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dark and Stormy Night

Last night I was jolted full awake at 4am. The house was surrounded by a lightning storm, but that wasn't what woke me. I was sure I heard a soft thump from upstairs.

We have only been living in this house for a month so my first though when I woke up was, "Am I allowed to go upstairs and check on that?" After a few sleepy blinks I realized that nobody else was going to go upstairs. Tony was getting some much needed sleep and I didn't want to wake him.

So picture me wandering around our dark house, during a storm, with only my big ole' pregnancy t-shirt to protect me from the thing that bumped in the night.

I made my way to our pitch black staircase which is opposite our curtain-less sliding glass door. I was simultaneously freaked out by the possibility of psyco-killers watching me from the backyard and zombies waiting for me in the shadows upstairs.
Against my wishes my brain recalled that staircase scene in the Haunting. You know the one, where the ghost hunters go upstairs looking for one of their missing companions and suddenly her screaming body drops down on them from the attic?

Suddenly I feel something warm and soft rub against my leg.
I spring into a useless pseudo kung-fu stance and look down. It's just our kitty Byron. He looks up at me and yawns.

So I think to myself, "If there were really something upstairs the cat would be hiding under something and trembling...So I don't need to check it out."

When I got back to bed poor Tony was wide awake. He offered to go check the mystery thump but I was adamant that he stay in bed as my Tony-shaped security blanket. Just in case.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin