Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kevin sez: What about eye color?

Well, the easy answer to your question Kevin is: "It would depend on varying ratios of eumelanin produced by melanocytes in the iris." (Pssst...thanks Wikipedia)

However, if we're talkin' genetics I'm gonna have to rely on a vague recollection of my 7th grd. Biology class (psst...thanks Coach Brock).

First we must determine our actual eye colors.
When Tony and I were first seriously dating he came over at my apartment for a New Year's Eve dinner party. In the middle of dinner I got a long distance phone call from my cousin Kevin who was drunk dialing me from Times Square. It went some thing like this:

Me: "Yello?"
Kevin: (background roar of 10,000 drunken happy people) "Guess where I am right freaking NOW?!!"
Me: "Hell?"
Kevin: "New FREAKING York!! WOOOOO!!"
Crowd: "WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Somehow we were able to carry on a conversation of sorts and he asked what I was doing. I said I was hanging out with my new boyfriend. Kevin wanted to know what he looked like and I said Tony was tall, with brown hair, and green eyes.

Kevin: "Alright Holt! Sounds NICE!"
Me: "Thank you!"
Tony: "Pardon me? I have WHAT color eyes now?"

See, apparently Tony has Brown (maybe Amber) eyes. In my defense his brown eyes are very light and my eyes are green, and I had been drinking lots of Champagne. But to. this. day. Tony randomly makes me tell him what color his eyes are just to make sure I haven't forgotten.

So here are our two parental eyes:

I seem to recall (7th grd. Bio) that Green eyes are somewhat rare and brown trumps green. Am I correct in my fuzzy recollection? Anybody remember how to do this? Anybody?

1 comment:

Bethany said...

The way they teach you in school doesn't work. Brown is dominate, but if one of Tony's parents have lighter eyes he's a Bb (one dom, one not). If you're green, you're something like gg.

Anyway, they've now found out it takes like 12 different chromosomal matches to work it out.

Dave has hazel-y/brown eyes. I have blue. Violet got blue. Total crapshoot.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin