Monday, January 21, 2008

My nose is an endless fount of misery


Still sniffling and hacking today, but I took my illness out on the town this morning (suck it Austin...you did this to me).

Anywho, Tony and I were getting a little restless this morning and despite the drizzly wet weather we decided to abandon our musty apartment and try breakfast at "Juan in a Million". The place was packed today. When we walked in the door we were immediately greeted by the owner who insisted on gently shaking my hand and giving Tony's hand a friendly slap. Then he pointed out a newly cleared booth and wished us a tasty meal. Nice!

The waitresses are clearly well practiced in working as one flawless organism. The ladies who helped us (there were several) made quick and helpful menu suggestions and served our food in less time than I had to unfold my napkin. The food is very hearty and satisfying. We both had the Don Juan breakfast taco. Tony thought he might get two since the price was so reasonable, but we were warned (accurately) that one was more than enough per person.

The reason we picked this place was #1) Bethany suggested it and #2) I was praying that some spicy food might clear my nasal passages.

I had the same plan last night when we tried Thai Kitchen (off William Cannon and I35 if you are local). The whole reason we gave this place a chance was the hand-painted sign in the front window promising a two-week turnaround for renovations. I think it said something like "We PROMISE to be open again in the next 14 days!!" As if people were piddling themselves waiting for their beloved steamed dumplings. Well Thai Kitchen ain't no liar. They re-opened this week and we gave them a try.

It was FAN-tastico! The menu was expansive and the food was delightful, if a little salty for my needs that night. They even have a picture of a very satisfied Ann Richards on the wall enjoying some lovely noodles.

The combo of curry last night and chili peppers this morning should clear my stubborn head up but good right?

Sniff...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

nose: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-lavage/MM00552

camel comic... oddly reminiscent of birth... I once heard a comedian describe giving birth as trying to squeeze a watermelon through something the size of a lemon.

Bethany said...

I am so jealous that you had a Don Juan. I'm jonsing.

Not to add to the suckiness of being sick, but when I was pregnant, it took me an entire month to get over a cold. Ridiculous.

holt said...

Thanks for the link. As it happens I do have a similar method of clearing out my nose. I have a "neti" pot which is (unfortunately) rendered ineffective when one side of your face is totally blocked. But it feels nice so that's something!

A whole month...NO!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your sick, Mom's sick now guess what! Siblings should not share!

holt said...

Somebody works in a school...so I don't know...Maybe you brought the cold to me? Hmmmm?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin