Thursday, January 10, 2008

Flashback!

After stuffing ourselves with Mom's holiday tamales Tony and I were greeted by a mountain of baby stuff circa 1978. I don't know how she did it but my Mom saved every blessed thing my sister and I ever touched when we were young. We picked out a few thousand favorite things but could only fit one plastic tub of memorabilia in our Chevy for the drive back to Texas. Some things we couldn't fit: A cradle, a blanket box, 10,000 frilly little girl outfits. Heaven help us if we have a son...we are frugal people and that boy might need to embrace gingham and lace.
Here is a smattering of retro baby items:

This was my Bib, apparently I enjoyed stewed yams.


1970's doll house furniture.



May I direct your attention to the rockin' bell bottoms, the fine BBQ grill, and the vintage BMW?

Orphan Annie

This goes in our office. The baby can play with it when she/he has a greater appreciation for comic history...and we get a chance to steam clean the thing.

Requisite political onsie

Still true today.

Wool sweater and silk jacket


I don't know where my Mom found these items but I think they are fantastic! These were the only unisex outfits. The rest were matching dresses. My sister and I sported the "twin" look up until we were big enough to demand pants for all formal occasions.

Sad bunny and sadder lamb


All my stuffed animals look like they need anti-depressants. The lamb looks a lot like our cat who you can see in the background. Most likely our kitty is hoping to either eat or rape the lamb.

Snuggli 1.0

This is the classic "Snuggli" that my parents used to cart us kids around in the early 80's. It looks very complicated to me but Mom says not to be a wuss and give it a try. It also came with a very neat retro mauve corduroy diaper bag.

Thanks for all the gifts Moma, we will be back soon for the remaining baby stuff as soon as we close on a house!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I spit my water out at the lamb raping. That is funny.

holt said...

Thank you! Also it is factual. As soon as my back was turned aforementioned little lamb needed to be rescued from a horrible fate...

Anonymous said...

I was not born in 1978 but 1980 must have been a quiet year in the redesign of doll house furniture. I had several of those same pieces. Those pictures brought on a bit of a flashback!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin